Run Safe

Friday, November 18, 2011

Expectations



From the moment you decide to start running, you've formulated expectations in your mind. I think this is a primary reason so many people do not succeed in their running quest.  January 1st (you pick the year) your new years resolution is get in shape.  You decide running is part of the plan.  You throw on whatever gym shoes you have (or maybe you splurged and bought new shoes) and head out the door. Goal or no goal, in your mind you are committed. You make it about half way around the block and you already notice you are slowing down.   Your lungs are burning, you can barely breath, your legs are on fire and you give up.  Sound familiar?  I wish I had a dollar for every time I started out this way.

Maybe you are an experienced runner preparing to compete in your first distance race (pick the distance). You too have expectations and usually it is the best possible outcome, usually a personal record (PR). How many times have you been disappointed when you fall short of that goal?

I think it all comes down to setting realistic goals. If you've never run (successfully) its going to take time. You've gotta learn to walk before you can run, right?  Follow a plan like a couch to 5k. In the first couple weeks you will probably feel like you are not doing enough but that's ok. You don't have to feel near death to be running.

If you are an experienced runner set 3 goals. I call mine Amazing, Good & I can live with that. Remember, many things factor in to your finish. Health, weather, sleep, nutrition, hydration, supplementation and training all factor in.

Having realistic expectations, not matter your experience, will lead to success & Happy Running

1 comment:

  1. Just the reminder I needed for this weekend's double marathon. Thanks! Now to figure out what my "good" goal is; I know "amazing" (PR Saturday) and "I can live with that" (finish both alive) . . . ;-)

    ReplyDelete