Run Safe

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Looking Back, Moving Forward


1,260.  My mileage total for 2011 and the most I've ever run in a year.  I started of 2011 with several goals in mind but strangely, this was not one of them, it just happened.  Goals I did set and accomplish this year included running and completing 2 marathons, completing 2 Rock & Roll series runs.  I ran Chicago in August and Las Vegas in December.  Both marathons were local marathons; Rockford & the Fox Valley marathon.  As an added bonus I broke the 4 hour barrier after running Fox Valley in 3:59:39.  I  also committed to "inspiring" 10 other people to take up running.  I didn't really do a good job of keeping track but I know of several friends and family members who asked for advice on running and then completed a 5k or more this year.

This blog and my facebook page were also started as ways to inspire.  This is one aspect of my running journey I hope to continue.  If you are one of the 10 people who will actually read this & have made it this far into what I've wrote, consider adding this to your 2012 goals;  Get one person to discover the joys, pains and obsessive disorder that we call running.

I'm not only proud of my goals but of my family's as well.  All 3 of my children took up running this year.  The two youngest completed a 26.2 mile kids marathon challenge in which they ran consistently over several months until reaching their 26.2 goal.  The both ran their fastest mile this year.  My wife completed her goal of becoming a surgical tech, while working and allowing me the time to continue running.

This year wasn't without its challenges.  In January I lost my grandfather, a man who I've always looked up to and admired.  It's been strange not having him around but he has been with me in my thoughts and in spirit throughout many of my 1,260 miles this year.  I've been reminded countless times this year just how fragile life really is.  Several friends have or are currently battling illnesses, other friends who have lost loved ones and stories of course the stories of runners who have died in races or were killed by careless drivers.

In 2012 I will try my luck at a run streak, as of today I'm 3 days completed.  I also plan to complete an ultra marathon (at least a 50k).

While it's certainly motivating to have goals and rewarding to accomplish them, I think moving forward, what's most important is living each day to the fullest.  Make every day count.  Whether it's for you, a loved one or a perfect stranger (did anyone else just hear Balki from the old tv show saying "Don't be ridiculous"?) just make it count.  Make it count in whatever way you see fit.

I hope you all have a happy, successful, healthy and rewarding 2012.

Happy New Year & Happy Running.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post, brother!!!

    Congrats on a successful year.....1260 puts you 235 ahead of me, but my 1025 is also the most I've ever managed thus far, so I'm not about to complain. I'm shooting for around 1200 in 2012, but beyond that my goals are very nebulous. I've got Boston coming up in April, so after that....we'll see!

    Have a happy New Year, and I'll see you out there on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bill. 1025 miles is awesome! I just exceeded 1000 for the first time 2 years ago. Good luck with Boston. I feel pretty confident in saying I don't think I'll ever run it (unless I get an invite) just not fast enough. 100 miles a month an you'll knock that 1200, no problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and a great year running...WOW, over 1200 miles in a year is amazing ! I hope you continue to have great running success in the coming year, and remain healthy and injury free during all of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a dear friend who keeps reminding me that life is too short. Don't waste it. He's so right. I'm glad he's OUR friend. ;) Have a killer 2012, Dan! Got get yours! Run on and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete